11. Mojon P, Rentsch A, Budtz-Jorgensen E, Baehni PC. Effects of an oral health program on selected clinical parameters and salivary bacteria in a long-term care facility. Eur J Oral Sci 1998; 106(4):827-34.
12. Jones RG, Kerr MP. A randomized control trial of an opportunistic health screening tool in primary care for people with intellectual disability. J Intellect Disabil Res 1997; 41(Pt 5):409-15.
13. Bell A, Bhate M. Prevalence of overweight and obesity in Down's syndrome and other mentally handicapped adults living in the community. J Intellect Disabil Res 1992; 36(Pt 4):359-64.
14. Prasher VP. Overweight and obesity amongst Down's syndrome adults. J Intellect Disabil Res 1995; 39(Pt 5):437-41.
15. Beange H, McElduff A, Baker W. Medical disorders of adults with mental retardation: A population study. Am J Ment Retard 1995; 99(6):595-604.
16. Wagemans AM, Fiolet JF, van der Linden ES, Menheere PP. Osteoporosis and intellectual disability: Is there any relation? J Intellect Disabil Res 1998; 42(Pt 5):370-4.
17. Gabre P, Sjoquist K. Experience and assessment of pain in individuals with cognitive impairments. Spec Care Dentist 2002; 22(5):174-80.
18. Hughes CM, Lapane KL, Mor V. Influence of facility characteristics on use of antipsychotic medications in nursing homes. Med Care 2000; 38(12): 1164-73.
19. Tyler CV Jr, Bourguet C. Primary care of adults with mental retardation. J Fam Pract 1997; 44(5):487-94.
20. Moss S, Emerson E, Bouras N, Holland A. Mental disorders and problematic behaviours in people with intellectual disability: Future directions for research. J of Intellect Disabil Res 1997; 41(Pt 6):440-7.
21. Cooper SA. Epidemiology of psychiatric disorders in elderly compared with younger adults with learning disabilities. Br J Psychiatry 1997; 170:375-80.
22. Cooper SA. Psychiatric symptoms of dementia among elderly people with learning disabilities. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 1997; 12(6):662-6.
23. Sadock BJ, Sadock VA. Kaplan and Sadock's Synopsis of Psychiatry. 9th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2003.
24. Geldmacher DS. Contemporary diagnosis and management of Alzheimer's Dementia. Newtown, PA: Handbooks in Health Care Co.; 2003.
25. Zigman WB, Schupf N, Urv T, Zigman A, Silverman W. Incidence and temporal patterns of adaptive behavior change in adults with mental retardation. Am J Ment Retard 2002; 107(3):161-74.
26. Cooper SA, Prasher VP. Maladaptive behaviours and symptoms of dementia in adults with Down's syndrome compared with adults with intellectual disability of other aetiologies. J Intellect Disabil Res 1998; 42(Pt 4):293-300.
27. Lott IT, Osann K, Doran E, Nelson L. Down syndrome and Alzheimer disease: Response to donepezil. Arch Neurol 2002; 59(7):1133-6.
28. Prasher VP, Huxley A, Haque MS, and the Down Syndrome Ageing Study Group. A 24-week, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of donepezil in patients with Down syndrome and Alzheimer's disease—pilot study. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2002; 17(3): 270-8.
29. Johnson N, Fahey C, Chicoine B, Chong G, Gitelman D. Effects of donepezil on cognitive functioning in Down syndrome. 2003. Am J Ment Retard 108(6):367-72.
Dr. Fisher is associate professor, college of nursing and health professions, Drexel University, Philadelphia.
Dr. Kettl is professor of psychiatry, Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, Penn State College of Medicine, Hershey, Pa.Disclosure: Dr. Fisher has no conflict of interest related to the subject presented. Dr. Kettl discloses that he has received research grants from Bristol-Myers Squibb, Janssen, and Forest, and was a speaker or consultant for AstraZeneca, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Lilly, and Pfizer.
Disclosure: Dr. Fisher has no conflict of interest related to the subject presented. Dr. Kettl discloses that he has received research grants from Bristol-Myers Squibb, Janssen, and Forest, and was a speaker or consultant for AstraZeneca, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Lilly, and Pfizer